Question:
driving with right foot on brake and gas pedal?
2010-07-24 09:59:54 UTC
well i was at a family party and i told my cousin if he learned how to drive and i said do you still drive with your left foot on brake and right on gas and his dad interrupted and said that is the right way to drive put your right on gas left on brake.Now is this the true way to drive or was his dad just sticking up for him
Twelve answers:
Dimo J
2010-07-24 10:36:08 UTC
I learned driving circa 1960-1962. My teachers were Detroit Police Officers. Drive left feet is braking in *safer* and quicker. In hazard times you poise the left over the brake -- over a half second faster then moving your right off the gas side to the left onto the brake. Far decreasing your stopping distance.

*IF* you are a spastic klutz that can keep what foot is on what pedal, use just one foot.

Old School taught those who could. Now they teach everyone are idiots. This is why the death-per-accident rate is increasing.
littler
2016-09-30 04:52:21 UTC
Foot Gas Pedal
?
2010-07-24 10:15:44 UTC
Using both feet is a bad habit to pick up. Driving with Left on break and right on gas means there is the possibility of both of them at the same time (not to mention you still need to swerve out of the way if this is an option).

The brain is not very good at multitasking reactions, and the simple action of pulling up the right and pressing the left is quite complicated, and would take many hours of practicing this action (which is not very good for the car or the tires, and quite a use of gas due to constant acceleration)

In an emergency situation where you need to stop, you perform 2 actions,

1. stopping your acceleration by releasing the gas pedal

2. stopping you forward momentum by pressing the break

unless you perform these actions with flawless precision, you will hit the break while still pressing the gas, and that split second could mean a few extra feet and the possibility of killing someone. Even a 5mph difference in speed could mean a full recovery or paralyzation for life.
Dan B
2010-07-24 10:10:45 UTC
Unless you are disabled, you ALWAYS use your right foot for both the accelerator and brake. Left foot for clutch only.

Reasons.

Whether auto or manual transmission, you won't have to change the functions of your foot. When I took driver's ed in school, one of the students forgot she was driving an automatic. She stomped on the brake pedal with her left foot thinking that she was in a manual transmission. Sudden stop followed.

Another reason. In a panic stop, you could inadvertently apply gas and brake at the same time, increasing your stopping distance. That was also proven in class on a driving simulator.

Another reason. It doesn't take much to cause the brake lights to turn on. It's uncomfortable (for me) to keep my left foot arched back to keep my foot off the brake. With your brake lights on, the car in back of you doesn't know what your braking status is, irregardless of his following distance. It will take a little longer to figure out that you are really stopping. Continuous brake lights is also an equipment violation.

So, get in the habit of right foot = brake and gas, left foot = clutch.
Christine
2016-11-28 17:02:31 UTC
It s a technique commonly used in drifting. You use the brake and gas pedal almost simultaneously while also working the clutch with your left foot.
2010-07-24 11:17:05 UTC
Maybe if you drive in NASCAR it is right, but not for a normal driver. Most drivers should be using ONE FOOT for gas and brake, that's how I was taught by a driving instructor. Perhaps that is what his father really thinks though.
pipe strangler
2010-07-24 16:22:23 UTC
Automatic car left foot redundant. Stick shift right foot brake and gas, left foot clutch only.
hopethishelps
2010-07-24 10:21:22 UTC
people that DO THAT end up resting their foot on the brake pedal causing the Rear BRAKE LIGHTS to STAY ON ALL the TIME causing the drivers behind them unnecessary aggravation ...they apparently DO NOT HAVE NORMAL COORDINATION SKILLS and Don't Need to be Driving until then......people like this Cause Road Rage as it is labeled in today's society I think they should a least have a prestige tag : FOOL DRIVING # _
oklatom
2010-07-24 17:39:39 UTC
It's an either or. You should be going, or stopping. Using both feet you could be doing both. Usint the right foot only, you can't be on both at the same time.

Left foot is used for the clutch in a manual transmission.
2016-03-28 07:22:18 UTC
One foot
2010-07-24 12:16:31 UTC
nascar uses 4 sp manuals not automatics.
2010-07-24 10:18:38 UTC
No its not true, he was just blowing smoke..